Thursday, November 08, 2007

 

COBRA SQUAD!

I moved my tv around the apartment until I found a spot where I can pick up Citizen station, because Ruthpearl and some other CSO people got spots in the audience for a very popular political talkshow on that station and they were going to try to squeeze EPAs into the conversation about poverty & equality in Kenya (they did a pretty good job, although Ruthpearl never got called on – they kept showing shots of her raising her hand, but the host was for some reason ignoring her). Now I can kind of pick up NTV, too, which means I can get COBRA SQUAD – a new Kenyan cop drama. Caught the last half of it this Sunday. Pretty good, especially for a domestic show. Definitely better done than those 4 hour Nigerian movies (in my estimation. Although probably if I watched them more I could really get into Nollywood. I mean, millions of people do. There must be something to it). My only complaint from the 15 minutes I saw of Cobra Squad is that it has an overly dramatic musical score. Really, really dramatic music for offering some juice, pouring the juice, and then drinking the juice. I kept thinking - the Juice Is Poisoned! The Juice is Poisoned! But it wasn't. She was just being a polite hostess.


Speaking of musical scores to Kenyan television, a trivia show “Who’s the Smarter One Now” (it pits 3 men against 3 women, and almost always the men win, mainly because they risk strategic amounts of money instead of always 500 shillings) – anyways, it uses very familiar music. “Where do I know that music from?” I wondered. Well, it’s the music from that one quiz show, what is it called…not “what’s my line”. Originally with Regis. It was a cultural phenomenon, but somehow I missed out on it. Like, I was in Canada that summer or something. I just looked it up on-line – “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire”. It uses that music. Other shows (like the news) use music from American shows also. I am just really pretty sure they ain’t paying nobody for those rights, if they are even available, which if I had taken more than just 1 day of Intellectual Property Rights, I would maybe know. I regret not taking IPR.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]