Tuesday, March 20, 2007

 

um, America?

I guess I’ve missed more than I thought I had. Lately it has come to my attention that things appear to be really different in America than they were 1 year ago. For example, I hear that the war in Iraq is on the news every day, and is constantly referred to, and that US citizens now feel that they are “at war.” (we were just gearing up to that when I left, as I remember it at least, but it was still somewhat ignored/swept under the rug) I think it is a good thing, except for the sort of mindless patriotic devotion that being “at war” tends to inspire. (I should say that I really don’t have a feel for the atmosphere in the States these days. I just heard that the war is in the news and on the minds of America from some friends who – for very strange reasons – have been able to watch Nightly News with Brian Williams every night from their computer in southern Sudan).

Also, apparently there is a movie called 300? I should explain: I am currently waiting for some other people to read a document so we can go over it together, and my brain is moderately fried, so I thought I would read some BBC news. 300? the biggest opening weekend ever in the US? And Iranians are extremely not happy at the portrayal of thousands of mean Persians getting whooped by 300 white guys. Now, how did this become the largest opening weekend ever, is what I’m wondering. Seriously. What does that mean?

And what’s this about Simon Cowell being bigger than Bruce Springsteen? The BBC said that he said that he is a bigger deal than the Boss and should get 5 times as much money. And that he sells lots more albums.

WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING IN MY COUNTRY? WHY ARE YOU NOT STANDING UP FOR BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, AND WHY ARE YOU WATCHING WAR MOVIES WITH STUPID NAMES? I’m just confused. Just….confused.

ps - I saw the preview for 300 the other day and I am now, if anything, MORE confused than I was before. Apparently the special effects are innovative and cutting edge, but they seemed pretty just not that great to me. Also, 300 huge white guys in metal speedos? Why are they so naked? I would feel vulnerable. I mean, I realize that America is feeling vulnerable and like there are no “successes” in Iraq, and I suppose this movie represents an opportunity for Americans to temporarily feel like righteous underdogs (instead of impotent overlords) who get to slaughter thousands of Iranians (or their ancient equivalent) with impunity and feel good about it. But are record numbers of Americans really searching that out? I thought record numbers were turning against the war. Again, confused.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]