Tuesday, March 20, 2007

 

indicators

After a few months of being in Kenya, I started having a very specific reaction when I watched an American movie. There would always come a moment when I would suddenly be really stressed out and feel like things were wrong, and then I would realize that all the cars were driving on the “wrong” side of the road, and I should just calm down because certainly no one in the movie was having a problem with it.

I recently noticed that I’ve added a new trigger. Last night I saw Music & Lyrics, and i noticed I was having the stressed-out, red-lights-blinking, something-is-wrong reaction. And then I realized why: people were walking in and out of Hugh Grants apartment casually because the deadlock wasn’t engaged (I looked at the door when it was open, and it wasn’t the kind that you can open from the inside but not the outside). Inside my head was the blaring message: “LOCK THE DOOR! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LOCK YOUR DOOR! YOU STUPID, STUPID PEOPLE!”

And this is why I think I’ve been in Nairobi for too long, and I need to get OUT of the city SOON. Just for a few days. Cities. Man. I mean, I like Nairobi, but yeesh.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]