Saturday, October 14, 2006

 

thursday morning

I am sitting on a lounge chair on the Guesthouse grounds. I’ve been reading Snow, the sun comes in and out, and 20 yards away 2 american missionaries are agreeing with each other about Bush’s role in the war on terror, that he is Christian and hence it is unimportant if his actions are unpopular. Because there is a shifting breeze, and because I am reading, I only catch phrases - “rebel forces in the mountains,” “Christianity is”, “Muslims want”. This morning i was wearing sandals, and as i walked out the gate i managed to walk on a bee that stung me in the middle of my left foot. ruth gave me an ice pack and gary said baking soda might help. the ice pack has lost its iciness, so while i lounge halfway in a snow covered town in Turkey swirling with love and art and political islam and halfway in a corner of Nairobi where men are discussing political christianity and christian politics, the middle of my foot is waking up and radiating a pain that a few minutes ago didn’t exist, is now a soft, slow thing, and is threatening to become something harder and brighter altogether.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]