Friday, June 30, 2006

 

FOOD

Well, the food is great. I cook for myself and since they grow tomatoes and greens and onions and ginger and beans, it's pretty much like my food life back in the States, except that out in Kahawa Sukari you can't get dairy products (like cheese) or really much processed food items, which is okay with me for the most part. Although it does mean that I have to bake my own bread. That made me feel pretty darn homey, though, so that's okay. When I was studying Swahili in Nairobi, there were fancy supermarkets all around with things like yogurt and bread, so that was nice. I even bought paneer (that indian cheese) and made a sort of palak paneer. that was a good time.

When I'm out and about for work, etc, I'm eating more "Kenyan" food, which is basically a lot like what I eat, with some differences. Lots of ugali (boiled cornmeal that is stiff), sukuma wiki (greens) cooked with onion and lots of shortening, some irio (like mashed potatoes with greens mixed in and beans and corn = i love it), and then goat stew. I've gone to western Kenya twice now. The first time ate a lot of nyama choma (the official dish of Kenya - a large chunk of meat roasted over a fire with salt water poured on it) and politely drank down this bone marrow soup that was an intense experience. The second time stayed with a family and ate a lot of ugali, beans, potatoes, etc. Also was visiting farmers, so drank chai at a bunch of homes and ate githiri (maize and beans cooked together), chomped on sugar cane, ate small bananas, etc.

Oh, one thing that is different from home is that there is excellent fruit always available. I've had lots of small banana/pineapple/mango/passionfruit. If you want something like apple, you have to pay quite a bit, though. Also, the only baking cocoa powder they have is Cadbury's, meant for drinking, and it has ~flavouring~ in it, which makes me suspicious. cause i'm a snob. when it comes to chocolate. Also, no chocolate chips.

Food! Lately, I've been eating bananas and bread and rice cause I've been a bit sick, but I look forward to getting back into the Food thing. This morning Rose Stutzman made me pancakes that spelled out 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBBY' - cause it's my birthday! 27. Usually when I'm in a strange place for the summer i don't tell anyone it's my birthday, but i've been telling EVERYONE it's my birthday this year. Birthday!

Comments:
Happy Birthday!
Again!

Are you feeling better?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]